LOW COST IRRIGATION MODEL TROUGH BIO DIESEL
ASORD has carried out an extensive research on the production of Biodiesel from the Jatropha species. The salient features of the Low Cost irrigation model based on Biodiesel as proposed for 10,000 villages of Chhattisgarh state are:
- Increase in the irrigation potential through Low cost fuel.
- Low Cost Technology for Irrigation.
- Plantation would generate employment @ 18,750 man-days in a year.
- Wasteland can be utilized and converted into “productive state assets”.
- 1.20 lac ha additional area would be irrigated in the Kharif season.
- 1.20 lac ha additional assured irrigation for the Rabi season.
- Generation of several indirect benefits like boost in the diesel pump industry, various agro-processing industries etc.
ASORD has already initiated efforts for the development of model and in 1st phase of the model by plantation of Jatropha in year 2006-07:
- In Kanker District 60,400 plants of Jatropha planted in 3 villages out of which 44,900 plants on 35 selected tribal farmers & 15,500 plants on 15.50 acres selected community land.
- In Block Gariyaband & Chhura of Raipur District has done the plantation of 56,94,650 Jatropha plants on the lands 11,395 farmers of 132 villages.